Sunday, August 3, 2014

Review

Summer By Elizabeth Kelly





Available Now 

Amazon US * Amazon UKiTunes
Nook * Goodreads

This is not a HEA.
This book is a companion Novella to the Blackrock series. 
Scarred Hearts & Taking Chances.
It deals with the last 9 months of Summer Anderson's life told from her POV. 


Synopsis:

Love
Do we ever know what it truly is? Is it in the hugs from a parent? 
In the laughter shared with a best friend? Or is it the words that slip from the lips of the boy you want to love you back? 

I don’t know, maybe it’s a combination of all three, or maybe just maybe - it’s in the eyes of the person staring back at you through the mirror. The person whom you need to love, in order love another. 
For me staring into the mirror only brings pain, regret, and shame. What I’ve done, the one thing I thought would give me love, brought nothing but shame. This person staring back at me…I don’t know who she is, I don’t know who I am anymore.







Rachel's Review

While summer is the third story to come out of the Blackrock Series, it takes place before Scarred Hearts (Blackrock Series book 1).The story takes the reader back and forth between the present and past through a series of flashbacks and explains the actions that lead up to what happens to Summer.

As the story begins Summer, once a beautiful fun loving 19 year old girl is now sinking into depression as she struggles through the aftermath of a vicious cyber bullying attack. Shutting out her parents and her best friends Bailey and Roger, Summer suffers alone as she recalls her and Ben's relationship.

Summer is searching for love, enter the hot new guy at school Ben and his mean spirited sister Emily. After a causal hook up at Brad's (Bailey's boyfriend) halloween party, Summer and Ben begin dating.  In the beginning everything is  great, but then  Ben starts showing signs of being controlling and abusive, telling her where she can go and with whom. When her friends and family start voicing their concerns,  Summer starts pulling away from them. Meanwhile Emily is busy trash talking Summer and Bailey all over her blog.

Feeling pressured by Ben to give up her virginity, Summer decides to give in to his demands not realizing it's going to cost her way more than she could even imagine. 

I was given a copy of this novella in exchange for a honest review.  First off I would like to strongly recommend reading Scarred Hearts, and Taking Chances before reading Summer to feel the full effect of Summers actions.   As well this is not a feel good book, it will rip your heart out and stomp all over it. 
This novella was beautifully written, speaking as someone who has suffered cyber bullying first hand I am amazed at how well Elizabeth captures the motions someone goes through when they are being bullied.   
The tears, self loathing, and  inability to just walk away from the situation. This book tore me apart and left me hating Ben even more than I already did! I'm giving this book 4.5 stars, while I love this book I can't honestly say I liked as much as Elizabeth other 2 novels. I would highly recommend this novella to my friends and other fellow readers.



Don't Miss The Rest Of The Exciting

Blackrock Series


No comments:

Post a Comment